Celebrating healthier appetites for food, exercise, and life!

Monday, March 22, 2010

pancakes!

My family LOVES pancakes. I've tried a lot of recipes for them, and found one that's FABULOUS. It isn't the healthiest, though, since it has melted butter and uses all white flour. I came across this recipe somewhere, and my family really liked it. The pancakes were tender and fluffy. I didn't take a picture of them because they looked like any other pancake you've ever had. My husband and 7-year-old don't like it, but I make a fruit syrup for waffles or pancakes that my 12-year-old and I love. Just combine 3 cups of frozen fruit (I usually use raspberries and blueberries) with 1/2 cup of real maple syrup and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. Simmer until you like the texture - I like to let a lot of the berries break. It's great on waffles too - and I like to mix the leftovers into plain yogurt, either as a snack or with oatmeal to make overnight oats.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
makes 12 pancakes

3/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c whole wheat flour
3 T sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c low-fat buttermilk
1 T canola oil
1 large egg
1 large egg white
Lightly spoon flours into dry measureing cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine buttermilk, oil, egg, and egg white; stir with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. There will be lumps and bumps.

Heat a nonstick griddle or skillet (I use an electric skillet at about 355 degrees); coat with cooking spray. Spoon about 1/4 c of batter for each pancake onto griddle. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment