Celebrating healthier appetites for food, exercise, and life!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Eat to Live, Day 4

Today is day 4 of eating to live. I was very tired and draggy yesterday and the day before, but that could be related to not getting enough sleep. The afternoons have been difficult because I get really hungry. I don't want to overeat at lunch, but Dr. Fuhrman frowns on snacks. I've been eating one anyway -- and still end up ravenous at dinnertime. Dr. F says that is fake hunger -- "toxic hunger" -- and is my body detoxing from the not so healthy food I was eating previously. Huh. That sounds like a huge bucket of bologna to me, but the book Becoming Vegan for Dummies (or something like that) described the same thing. Perhaps it's not just diet-speak for "don't eat over 1200 calories"?

After the smoothie I made on Wednesday morning had me feeling hungry after two hours (in spite of the white beans and flaxseed in it!), I have gone back to my faithful oatmeal pancake. The oats will just have to be my grain for the day. Oats are just so much more satisfying than anything else I ever eat for breakfast. The "pancake" isn't quite kosher according to Dr F because it has egg whites in it, but if it keeps me from eating the pencils on my desk before lunch arrives, I'm fine with being slightly rebellious. I spent Wednesday morning chopping and cooking, making a soup from the website peertrainer.com. I had it for lunch with some kidney beans yesterday and today and it is quite rich and delicious tasting.

Our neighborhood's "biggest loser couples" challenge started June 1. Our neighbor created a website on which we can enter our combined weight as a couple every Friday. The website has a "smack talk" corner, which I think is quite hilarious. I'm curious to see the results of everyone's first weigh-in.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read "Eat for Health?" I saw an video on Peertrainer where he said that he wrote it to make it easier for beginners to understand the program.

    I haven't read Eat to Live. . . .

    Notice that you don't seem to be eating the half lb veggies and half pound of fruits before dinner, or maybe I misunderstood your reporting. I wondered if you could cheat a little and eat them an hour early to stave off the hungry snack attack. I don't know about you, but I have been eating a pretty generous snack about 4pm for years - it would be hard to give it up cold turkey!

    ReplyDelete